Hope Shines Inc.

Hope Shines Inc.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Fluoride, Health and the Memorial...

Our work today consisted of a wellness clinic for some of the students from out camp last week.  We also wished bon voyage to one of our teammates.  I started my day off with an impactful visit to the genocide memorial here in Kigali.  We finished our day with anther great meal and time to share stories among the current Hope Shines team as well as with local volunteers from previous teams.

The wellness clinic was a fun success.  The kids and young adults were given basic check-ups, provided with new underwear and socks, given health and hygiene information and provided with fluoride treatment for their teeth.  We identified some health issues that we hope to be able to address in the future if the resources are made available.


Applying the fluoride treatments after a crash course for our volunteers
Overall, the general health status of the kids appeared to  better than I had expected.  That is not to say that they don’t face significant health challenges.  In spite of widespread efforts to promote malaria prevention strategies, approximately one third of the children I saw today reported a history of being treated for malaria in the past year.  Although severe malnutrition doesn’t seem to be prevalent in our group of young people, many of the children reported not having access of meat as a protein source at home in the past month.  They basically subside on rice, beans and root crops. They certainly seemed to appreciate the bountiful plates of rice, beans, potatoes and goat we had provided them at lunch during the preceding week.  Make no mistake about it, these beautiful kids struggle every day to fulfill their basic nutrition and healthcare needs.


The toothbrushing lesson was actually a HUGE success and FUN!
As we wind down our time here, I think we are all starting to reflect on the great people we have met, new friends we have made and the gifts the Rwandans have given us.  Most of us will be heading home in the next few days.  Olivia flew home earlier this evening and most of us will leave on the 12th.  I am planning on a trek to see and experience the mountain gorillas up close and personal on the 11th.  Hannah and Sarah with be staying in Rwanda a little longer.  It will be with sad hearts that we leave the local volunteers and staff as well as all the young people we have worked with over the past week.

I started my day off this morning with a visit to the genocide memorial here in Kigali.  Since my arrival flight was delayed by a day and a half last week, I missed the opportunity to visit the site with the entire Hope Shines group before we started working at the camp last week.

I arrived at the memorial early today and found that I was one of only five people at the site.  It is not only a memorial but the burial site for some 250,000 of the 1 million people who where killed here in 1994.  I had expected to be moved by my visit.  I have started to feel a connection with Rwanda and with her people.  We have been made to feel welcome, safe, respected and appreciated.  Strangers smile and eagerly shake our hands when the pass us, our friends and colleagues here have shown limitless patience and openness and people--young and old alike--wave and smile when we fly down the road in a little white van.

I was indeed moved this morning in the silence of that nearly empty space.  Unfortunately the clarity I had hoped to obtain regarding the recent past of this most unique and wonderful country did not come.  I am afraid that I am left with only more questions, sadness and even anger about what happened twenty years ago.  I think I will need to focus my attention on the present which is good and the future which I hope will be shining.

Scott Kaiser
1st Year Volunteer
(Physician who helped with Health Checks)


No comments:

Post a Comment